Saturday, March 12, 2011

technology

When I first started this blog, I had the high-paying owns-your-life kind of job, and if I recall correctly, my first Blackberry. I really, really like new technology, but I do tend to be just a tad behind the 8 ball in catching on - there were MANY already addicted to their Blackberries before I was just getting my first. But I loved having access to my email from my pocket! Now, couple of years later, couple of phones later, not only is my email in my pocket, but so is all the internet, you tube, my blog, any book I feel like getting on amazon, the library of Congress if I want ... all in my pocket and on my phone! Crazy, amazing and very entertaining. I love that I can actually do my blog from my phone. And I can read books on my phone. And I can price check items on my phone, and purchase the same item from another store that has it cheaper while still standing in the first store, on my phone. I wonder if there is an app that could send me to the moon... or someone else that I'm not too particularly fond of... I bet there is.

Anyway, so so so many other things have also changed too... it is amazing to me what technology brings to my life. Gone are the days when I have to be at my TV at a particular day or time to watch a show! Gone are the days of watching commercials unless I specifically want to. Gone are the days of having to wait until summer to find a repeat if you miss a show - I can just catch it online! In fact, gone are repeats in the summer at all for that matter! And life without caller ID?!?! I barely remember that.

But it's cool to me to look at how technology has affected my recovery. Blogs, online/email meetings, documents/study guides online, speakers online, twelve step Twitter, a Big Book on my kindle, Skype meetings... the list just goes on and on! But I have to avail myself to those things and be willing to try them and use them, because for every cool thing that can enhance my recovery, there's probably ten or more that will take away from it. Most importantly for me, I think, is to keep my recovery ever-evolving, just like technology is ever-evolving... just like my disease is ever-evolving! I have to keep things interesting, because I have a tendency to lose interest and wander away.

I'm reminded of the saying I've heard many times, which is something along the lines of, that which we focus on gets bigger. This is really shockingly true. If I focus on recovery-related things, I feel grounded and at peace. When I focus on the things that make me crazy and drive me nuts, it seems like that's all I have in my life. Today, I think I could use more of the former than the latter.

So I apologize if there are typos or if this doesn't flow so well... I'm typing on a 2x4 inch touch-screen and have been in a different area of my house pretty much for each paragraph I've written! But if it weren't for this fancy schmancy phone, I probably wouldn't have written at all today. Hats off to the technology!

2 comments:

G. Rabanon said...

Technology has been amazing for my recovery... the danger for me is that I am so happy sometimes with the recovery community on Twitter that I feel like I don't have to get out to meetings. Bad isolating! BAD! But it does mean that I'm never alone, I've always got program folks to reach out to, and even if no one is online at the time, I can speak into the room, as it were, and know that someone will hear it within a few hours.

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I would like to thankyou for such an enlightening post. I dont by and large reply on blogs as I wish to lurk and read. However your style of literature is uncomplicated to understand, I love the fact that it is clear and to the point. I will make sure that I mail your blog to my acquaintances as I am certain they will not only like reading your post but also find it extremely instructive.