Friday, October 2, 2009

thanks for asking

I actually started this post quite some time ago ... September 21st I think it said. I had intended to type up my notes from when I spoke (see below), but then I just didn't get around to it - partially because it has been crazy busy at work with my co-worker on vacation, and partially because ... I'm not sure. It just didn't happen I guess. So I've updated what I can (in parentheses) and I will try to post my notes on traditions 4-6 (see below) hopefully sometime this weekend ...

Thanks to those of you checking to see how I'm doing, etc. After a few days on my new meds, I was feeling better, but then a big front came through and I had a set back. I'm definitely thinking that the meds are not going to help as much as I'd first hoped, but I'm still significantly better than I was right before starting them. (Hopefully I'll be able to get re-checked next week and see if they can find anything else out.) The jury is still out, unfortunately, but at least functionally, I have much improved. :)

Let's see ... program ... what can I write about program ...

I spoke at a local recovery event on the traditions this past weekend (a couple of weekends ago, now) and it was pretty cool I thought. For starters, I wasn't sure how many people would even attend, given that it was based on the traditions. I often used to deeply sigh when I would go to a meeting and the topic would be "tradition ___". Ugh. Who wants to discuss the traditions??? And I've heard many-a-times that "no one cares about the traditions until one gets broken."

There is a lot of truth to that, actually ... at least as far as the traditions as they apply to meetings, but as applied to everyday life, that is a completely different story! They are far more interesting and relevant when coming from that perspective, which was the entire point of the event this weekend, and a big part as to why I am so passionate about them. We had four speakers, each one covering three traditions, and we specifically talked about how we apply each of the traditions to our daily lives. I was four through six.

(And this is as far as I got ... here's to a stellarly productive weekend where I can actually get a little more written. Oh, and I would just like to say another SUPER THANKS to all those who update their blogs more regularly! I love to read them and someday I hope I can be a better, more regular poster.)

3 comments:

Syd said...

I gave a workshop on the traditions once as well. I believe that discussing how they apply to our relationships with others is awesome. They make so much sense. Have a great Friday.

Jujy said...

Nice to have an update..

Carol said...

I like the traditions as well and good for you for doing service. Next month I am going to do a workshop on the Virtue Trap and self destructiveness getting in the way of creativity. It's a new subject for me and I'm excited to see if people relate to it and what they can teach me, in return. See my post today for how I'm gaining more ES & H on that very subject!